Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Decision made!

After a bit of thinking - not too much - I decided to go through my scrap basket for my demonstration log cabin. My scraps are fabulous; even my grandson Ryan says so. My scraps were divided into lights and darks. In keeping with tradition, I did find enough reds so that the center of each of the 36 blocks is red. As I was working on this traditional block with its perfect proportions, I realized that not all the Lawndale women would want to tackle this block because they are a very busy group of women with limited time.So now I'm about to begin a second log cabin for demonstration purposes. This one uses a bigger center square and thicker strips. Instead of a block having 17 pieces, this block will have 9. Fewer pieces means faster sewing. But then the old problem: what colors to use?

Since the center block is so big, I found one of my special fabrics - a goldish sort of snowflake pattern that looks Christmas-like. Aha! Christmas! The two biggest collections in my stash are red and greens. And really, who doesn't love a Christmas quilt.

Note on January 12, 2008
: Kennedy teaching buddy Paul Lyons and his wife Marcy have a vacation house in St, Joe, MI about a mile from my sister Paula and have offered it to us. Since her house tends to get crowded over the holidays, we accepted Paul's offer - so convenient. The Scrappy Log Cabin now lives in the Lyons house in St. Joe as a thank you.

No comments: