Wednesday, May 9, 2007

What to do? What to do?



The Lawndale Christian Quilters have been on hiatus for the past 2 months. When we resume meeting on Monday nights in May and June, we will by general consensus work on a Log Cabin Quilt. The Log Cabin is one of my favorite patterns because it's so versatile. My winter quilt is a blue and white log cabin. Every time I get in bed I think about those wonderful snow days in 1993 when I was forced to work out of my stash, and this was the result.

It's also my favorite art quilt pattern. In my dining room hangs a fabulous log cabin that is quilted in metallic threads and just sort of sparkles. I call it "A Tribute to My Mother" because she said every room needs a touch of red. That's what the red in the center is all about. Part of the inspiration for this quilt came from a stage setting at Shakespeare Rep in downtown Chicago. There was a one-man show about Charles Dickens, and the stage had one huge frame that was set an an angle.

I firmly believe that modelling is the way to teach anything. So I do want to model a log cabin quilt, using the exact same measurements that the Lawndale quilters will use. My whole stash is open - all I need to do is make a choice. Perhaps some inspiration will come in another day or two. Really, how hard can this be? Two colors? Multi-colored, like Susan's Mexican Wedding Quilt? The group resumes in 10 days. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

No comments: