Friday, June 22, 2007

Cristina - in the old and the new studio


I have a 16 year-old friend. Just as I have difficulty telling my peers about my friend Cristina, she has an equally hard time telling her peers about her 57 year-old friend. Cristina is my neighbor, and she has spent more time in my studio than anyone else. She began making quilts with me when she was in junior high. The quilt she just finished today is her fifth (or sixth) one. Last year she made a quilt for her grandmother in Uruguay. Today she finished a quilt for her aunt in Barcelona which Cristina herself is going to deliver next week. While in Barcelona Cris will have an opportunity to study at an art school. I can't wait to see what she'll be learning!

I'm impressed with Cristina because she has such an interesting eye for design and color. Because of her I have become more adventurous in some of my fabric combinations. When I am stuck for a border or need some input, she's the first one I'll ask. Just recently she introduced me to HTML code as well as some interesting music groups (Coldplay, The Shins, The Cranberries, and Postal Service). My latest reversible quilt uses the same fabrics from her Barcelona quilt. Yes, I copied from her.

My new studio was completed in late December, 2006. My old studio was dismantled in August, 2006. From August until December I was able to work out of a temporary studio at Cristina's parents' home. Although Ana and Miguel were more than gracious about this arrangement, it was Cristina who initiated the idea, both to me and her parents. I was reluctant and thought I could work out of the first floor of our home. John knew that I couldn't and told me from the very first to accept Cristina's suggestion. And so I did, at Ana's urging. In retrospect, I don't know what I would have done without the temporary studio down the block.

At this same time Cristina received her driver's permit and was taking Driver Education. Getting her 50 hours of behind-the-wheel time was difficult. That's when my Quiltmobile and I stepped in. During this past winter we accumulated driving hours after school and on weekends. Our time often included a precious stop at Starbuck's. I am proud to say that Cristina now knows all the local Starbucks, including the drive-thru one in Lyons! But I'm even happier to report that Cristina earned her driver's license this spring and now tools around happily and independently.

We are lucky that our friendship has been beneficial for both of us.

So my friend Cristina is off to Barcelona for the summer. I'm excited for her and can't wait to begin hearing tales of how she is doing and what she is doing.

No comments: