Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Quilter's Husband


My husband John? No. Check out this web site -Quilter's Husband.

One of the great pieces of equipment I have is a standing table. When I'm cutting or pin-basting a quilt, standing is necessary for leverage and mobility. In fact, it's such a necessary piece of equpment that I could almost use another. But then I could almost use another sewing/sitting surface. What to do? My studio is huge - really, it's 22'x 25'. The answer to my problem is The Quilter's Husband. At this website I found pieces of pre-cut PVC pipe adapted to raise the church-type banquet table from the standard 29" to 36".


The current project is a quilt made from hockey jerseys, some of which are so heavily embroidered that they don't even bend. Still, these jerseys are the basis for a quilt, which must like all quilts be quilted. That means basting together the top layer of the jerseys, the middle batting layer, and the bottom layer of muslin. The two 5' banquet tables with their wonderful additional legs gave me a 10' by 3' standing surface, idea for all the pin basting this quilt needs.

These three layers have created a piece that is fairly heavy. So, off come the legs from one of the table, and it can now be placed in L-fashion to my sewing table. Now it can support the weight of the quilt as I begin to work on it.

Paying attention to the ergonomics of quilting is important. And these little PVC legs are fabulous!


1 comment:

Doug said...

The Hockey Jersey aint quite Amish is it?