Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Life and Death Quilting


While I'm glad that my quilting brings comfort to those who are grieving, this kind of quilting requires an emotional investment that is sometimes difficult for me. My current "life celebration" project is a quilt made from Lisa's clothes. Lisa is the daughter of Trish Schulz, and Lisa died last year, a victim of ALS. For the third year her family participated in the ALS Walk for Life. Both Lisa's mom (center) and Lisa's daughter (long hair on the left) participated in the walk on September 13, the rainiest day in Chicago's history. Trish said tears and rain were indistinguishable throughout the walk.

After a few hours working on Lisa's quilt, I must switch to another project. I'm glad another current one is a grandmother's quilt for Oralee as the David Thompsons welcome their first grandchild. Birth and Death - what great reasons to quilt.

No comments: