Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Interior Dialogue about Art Quilt #1


Can I call this an art quilt? Good question. The answer: this is different from much of the work I tend to do. Is there a message behind this piece? I don't know. Here's what I do know. I'm happy to try working with circles - quite a change for one who is so linear. This color palette pleases me although it doesn't go with anything in my house. Shifting the circles toward the lower left as opposed to keeping them concentric - what's that about? I don't know except that this arrangement pleased me. Why the smaller circle in the upper right? That appeals to my sense of balance. I even played around with binding color and decided that blank provided the stronger frame. This piece was driven primarily by the fabrics and this attempt to get away from straight lines. What one word comes to mind about this piece? I don't know - I kind of think it has an Asian flavor, perhaps because of the color or simplicity. What your bottom line about this piece? I like it but don't know how "artistic" it is. 11" x 14"

I missed the 2nd session of the Art Quilt class at quiltfabric.com. Does it show? I'm eager to go to the third session on November 14.

1 comment:

dmhorvath said...

Hi Donna,

This is a really interesting departure from the ubiquitous linear style. I love it! It makes me think of olives! And also a cool pair of socks I recently saw: http://www.joyofsocks.com/Kinetic_Lurex_Socks_p/oz_ozw926_2.htm
check 'em out; maybe it will give you some more circular ideas..

Always great work and artistry,
fond wishes,
Di