Monday, December 22, 2008

Perfect Present



Friends Richard and Laurel Seidelman just gave me this. I love it. I love it for the simple lines of the actual piece. I love it for the colorful moquilt which Rich cut from old license plates. I love the photos from my blog that Laurel chose because they represent a progression The first - bold geometric lines with fabric. The second - more intricate but still geometric piecing. And the third represents the direction I think my quilting is heading towards. Click on the picture to see some of the detail. 12" x 22

The thoughtfulness of this carefully-crafted piece overwhelms me. Here's what Laurel said.
Obviously there was another gift which was left at home on Friday. But after our evening together we were inspired to create something that rejoiced in YOUR art. I listened carefully to comments about your passion for geometric shapes and your Beijing inspired interest in yellows and reds. I let those comments steer me to quilts that shared a common color scheme and sense of geometry. It's interesting that they also follow a progression in your style sense. We labored over the positioning of the photos and finally felt comfortable with the final order with no idea that it was ideologically correct. We are pleased that you are pleased.
"Pleased" is an understatement. That this gift celebrates MY art? Priceless.

No comments: