Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Quilt of India


Travel mates Cynthia and Richard from San Diego provided some great companionship as we toured India and Nepal. Cynthia bought 6 embroidered t-shirts in Nepal, and we began to talk about turning them into a quilt. She then gave me artistic license to do what I wanted with them. I've told people that India stimulated all our senses, and in this quilt I've incorporated the colors of the marigolds, the fruit, the saris, and the ubiquitous bougainvillea.

The back of the quilt is pieced from a whole cloth I bought in Jaipur (while everyone else was being introduced to Old Monk Rum during a carpet demonstration). Jaipur is famous for its Amber Fort and hand-stamped fabrics. For some reason I bought two big hand-stamped pieces. I knew I wanted to turn one into a whole cloth quilt and didn't quite know why I bought a second one. As I started Cynthia's quilt, it occurred to me what a perfect backing this would make. Cynthia and Richard are nature enthusiasts and have a fondness for elephants. Check out the detail on the back of the quilt.

I am used to making lovely things and then parting with them. However, parting with this quilt will be difficult. My comfort is knowing that the quilt will be in a place that we will visit! 64" x 88"

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Doug said...

you nailed the colors...

Very good.