Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Cultural Mix


The colors of India are so vivid and still running through my mind. I've been thinking a lot about colors and design. And my scrap stash is overflowing. One scrap quilt that I loved and gave away was a log cabin design. So I'm putting the colors in India into a Log Cabin quilt.
Log Cabin designs are time-consuming. This one will have 48 blocks, and each block has 13 pieces. But there is such a terrific payoff. A traditional log cabin has a red center (symbolic of the hearth/heart/fire of a house). However the center of these blocks will be gold. These gold centers will be surrounded by scraps from three color families - red/oranges, purple/indigos, and green/blues. The back of the quilt is going to be a piece of hand-stamped fabric that I bought in Jaipur - it's 86" by 108".

No comments: