Friday, July 3, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - even for a shower present


There have been several pairs of old jeans on my closet shelf. After a difficult day of cutting apart these jeans, I had a nice assortment of pockets and strips. My goal was to make shopping bags. Not the pretty Mors bags that I gave everyone for Christmas but the kind that could last a lifetime. July 5 is a wedding shower for Patricia Dieball Sigcho. I am making Patricia and Byron a quilt for their August wedding, but I didn't want to go to the shower empty handed. So I began to think about giving Patricia something utterly practical, a nice balance to the quilted wall art. About 10 years ago we bought canvas shopping bags and have been using them ever since. They've been washed many many times and continue to be sturdy enough to carry a gallon of milk and canned goods. So I used those bags as a pattern for my sturdy, denim shopping bags. Patricia and Byron are getting two of these bags (nicely wrapped in a MORS bag).These denim shopping bags will last for a long time and be useful.


2 comments:

wsrhodes said...

Nicely done! And I love the posting title!

rachel rivera said...

I love the different shades of denim used. Planned nicely.