Monday, August 24, 2009

Scraps and Auditions

It seems like I just blogged about this, but - again - my scrap basket overflows. So it's time for another scrap quilt. This time I found strips of fabrics and cut them into 6" lengths. There are 6 vertical strips, each 60" long. I thought I'd set these strips on muslin or something light. But the Thursday night girls suggested black or something dark. And I began to see all the browns in my stash. The result of these 2 "audition" photos is that I like the darker brown background so much more than the lighter brown or neutral background.

Let's see. Do I know anyone using browns as a decor theme? Hmmm, nephew Chris Thompson. He's just moved, his life is a bit unorganized at this point. This scrap quilt will be perfect for him.

4 comments:

Chris Thompson said...

Perfect for him...Or is it?

Barbara said...

I like the brown. Don't you just love getting to use scraps - gives you an excuse to go buy more fabric. Or at least justifies it.

Donna said...

On some cold damp windy night you'll be very happy for this! Besides, it's been 8 or 9 years since your last quilt.

Seriously tho, if turns out to be not your cup of tea, I'll take it back with no hurt feelings. Response to art is so personal - I truly get that!

Josie Ray said...

Scrap quilts are the very best! I'm working on one right now and it's stealing my heart like no other quilt I've ever seen. I had to examine your blocks up close to see if you mixed traditional and contempary prints, but they all look contemporary. (I threw one contemporary in with a bunch of serious traditional, and though I love it, I'm looking for a precedent elsewhere...niggling quilter's insecurity!)

BTW, that's gorgeous.