Monday, October 26, 2009

For Edward

Once a week I drive for the American Cancer Society. I've been doing this since last March, and it's been an eye-opening and rewarding experience. As the newbie, I have relied my passengers to tell me which route to drive and where exactly to go. Today my passenger was the newbie.

Edward is beginning his course of radiation and chemotherapy for lung cancer. He's a sharp dresser - nice coat, brimmed hat. But when he got in the car, he had an armful of various items. I'm driving him tomorrow, too, and giving him this bag. I think it looks manly.

Of course with each trip and patient, I think of Dodie and being her Week 5 driver for her radiation and chemotherapy. Perhaps that was the preparation for what I'm doing now.

2 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Thank you for volunteering to be a driver for a much needed aspect of helping others. So many in need of these treatments do not have access to transportation, and certainly need a supportive volunteer to help. I'm sure you make the difference to all of those you drive to their treatment.

Hugs,

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Josie Ray said...

May God bless you for your kindness...driving and the tote. I've been through this sequence of events with family and know, as you do, that for patient, family and friends, it can be like getting sucked into a dark hole for a while. Prayers and acts of kindness can lift spirits, give hope...kindness goes deep at such a vulnerable time.