Friday, November 20, 2009

Keeping Surprises - or not...

My sister Paula's birthday is December 1. Yes, I know there are still 2 weeks until her birthday. But considering I made her present almost 3 weeks ago, I think I've done a great job of keeping the surprise as long as I did! This bag is similar in size to the ones I've been making. But what sets this apart are the fabrics - all of them are batiks. These batiks were pieced onto a piece of muslin. The first trickier and similar bag to this one was pieced on paper. I like the muslin piecing better because the muslin becomes a part of the bag's foundation. Now as Paula struts down the street she can sing the chorus from J-J-J-Joseph: I am handsome, I am smart, I am a walking work of art! How I love my tote of many colors...

Happy Be-earlied Birthday, Paula!




1 comment:

Josie Ray said...

What a great cousin to your first Beyer tote! Or, not cousin, but sister, perhaps...

I like how you put the cool colors on one side and the hot ones on the other. She can flip the bag depending on what she's wearing.

Beautiful work. As usual.