Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Changing Gears

After doing so many Mors bags in a row when several times a day I can look at a completed project, it's hard to switch over to projects that take more than 45 minutes. But I've got two going right now, and they are quite different from one another.

For the past several weeks I have been wavering and dithering about whether to make a new Jinny Beyer project. Today I finally started Night and Day, thanks especially to some prodding from a faithful blog reader/writer Josie Ray. Josie lives near the Jinny Beyer Studio in Virginia and visited the studio. And she asked me these important question? How could I not make one of Jinny Beyer's projects? How could I not surround myself with the glory of one of her color palattes and design?

Jinny Beyer is wonderfully generous about making her patterns/directions available. So the palette of my fabrics is together, and I started cutting the strips this morning. There's a lot of detail work but the payoff is a big one - 2 quilts at the same time.

The other project I'm working on is quilting a piece of whole cloth that I bought in Rajastan, India, last year. For once piecing is not the goal. Instead it's all about the quilting. Quilter Friend Wayne has taught me some of the fundamentals of free motion quilting, but I'm still not comfortable enough with the process to actually use it for quilting. But I've discovered a new blog - 365 Days of Free Motion Quilting Designs. In fact, I love this blog so much I've even paid to support it. This whole cloth is so busy that it's the perfect piece to practice the various free motion techniques. You can see some of the detail - this is indeed a work in process and will be for a while. But if I can work 30 - 45 minutes a day on this quilt, I think I'll improve!
Finally, I have created a second blog. One of my dilemmas is that I have a growing stock of quilts. And a satisfying solution, thanks to Wayne, is the creation of a second blog, just to showcase quilts that are for sale. It's still a work in progress.
moquilt-for-sale.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Josie Ray said...

How absolutely perfect to be working on a Jinny Beyer quilt and an Indian piece at the same time, since she, herself, began quilting when she lived in India, and has been so inspired, in an ongoing way, by the colors and designs there!

And I love your new quilts-for-sale site. Kudos!

Donna said...

So glad you pointed out the Jinny Beyer coincidence of working on something Indian while starting one of her projects!