Friday, July 30, 2010

Night and Day

This past week I've been working on the 16 blocks for the Night and 16 blocks for the Day quilts, pattern courtesy of Jinny Beyer. This first picture is the Night quilt, darker in design, and will finish at 43" x 43". The second picture is the Day quilt. Or I can combine the 16 blocks from each quilt into one larger quilt that will finish at 65" x 65".

I think borders will help unify and finish whatever I decide to do. For the next few days I think I'll keep this quilt on the studio floor and study and rearrange and ponder before making any final decisions.

I have a computer notebook carrier/bag which is ready to be put together and I can always go back to my free motion quilting practice. Definitely there are things to do to keep me busy!

6 comments:

Stephanie in Michigan said...

I love Jinny Beyer. I have a few projects from her I want to do, but I have the hardest time cutting into some of her beautiful fabrics!

Donna said...

Stephanie, I know EXACTLY what you mean. A quilter buddy sent me a packet of Jinny Beyer fat quarters purchased at the Jinny Beyer Studio/Store in Virginia. I've decided the best way to honor these fabrics is in a Cathedral Windows design.

Josie Ray said...

Oh, wow. You have been making some tough decisions! Those look gorgeous...very forest-y. Deep forest-y. You must be having such pleasure working with those colors and design.

When the LLBean Home catalog arrived recently, I had mixed feelings. There was a cathedral window quilt on the cover! I do hate to see our American heritage quilts mass-produced, but...they did use lovely summer colors. It's most attractive: LLBean Cathedral Window Quilt It gave me ideas!

Josie Ray said...

p.s. I suppose the combined-pieces-into-one-large-quilt was your own idea and not suggested in the pattern, as it wouldn't work as well with her two different backgrounds? Looks pretty neat. And lots of play possibilities.

Donna said...

Wayne commented on the design of the combined blocks, and he was right on. Based on what he said, I did some minor rearranging and am working on assembling the blocks.

But meanwhile, the madness that is Cathedral Windows has started. I've gone through all my muslin scraps and have done tons of prep work for what I'm thinking will be a fall/winter hand project, all inspired by the Jinny Beyer fabrics. A blog post is in the making!

And your link to the LLBean catalog is just propelling me further into Cathedral Windows!

Anonymous said...

I know this was a while ago that you made this, but what do you decide on? Just took a mystery class where we made this - love it but really wanted it larger....