Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Deconstructing Men's Shirts

Bradley died suddenly in August.  His brother Christopher faces a Christmas of concern for his mother and his sister.  Christopher gathered all of Brad's shirts and is having two memory quilts made for them. 

Bradley wore dark colors, mostly navy and greys.  These blocks are 9.5" squares, and the quilt should finish at 63" X 72". Blocks were made from the sleeves, the yoke, front placket, and the shirt backs.

Christopher is coming over this weekend to work on the layout with me, and I welcome his input.  I also have all of the cuffs from the shirts and am trying to figure out how I can incorporate them into these quilts. 

To be continued...

3 comments:

Miss Sews-it-all said...

What a beautiful way to remember a loved one. I like that you have cut some of the fabric so that pockets and plackets still show as a shirt. Looking forward to seeing more!

I Love Fig Jam said...

Not only is Christopher making a lovely gift for his mother and sister, I am sure that helping with the quilt will help his grieving process. What a wonderful gift for all of Bradley's family. :D

Kari Kristine said...

the quilts are beautiful, I will be glad to see where Aunt Mary puts the quilt in the house, my Mother's pillow should go with the quilt