Monday, December 27, 2010

Moonscapes - and its lessons


It's completed and ready to hang in the living room, as soon as John takes the quilted Christmas tree down. I'll be happy to look at this daily, but of course I would do things differently if I were starting this project all over - a common lament among quilters. I do love the colors and fabrics in this piece, and the inspiration behind this design was to unify the various colors currently in my living room. I'm also happy that I am finally getting the hang of free-motion quilting - this piece represents my first with free-motion quilting. I like that I used one color of thread which takes on a new dimension with each moon   But instead of framing the quilt with a traditional border (which I did deliberately to incorporate that scarlet red), I wish that I had engaged the edges of the quilt with the design. I wish that I was bolder with my quilting, but that's a skill that will grow with time.  And - bottom line? - this quilt makes me happy.


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Arathi said...

Wow! This one looks amazing! :)

I am curious to know what free motion quilting is. And also, how to we bind the moons to the fabric pieces ensuring that the edges of the moon fabric does not unravel!

Donna said...

Free-motion quilting means lowering the feed dogs (those little teeth that help move the fabric) and using your hands to move the fabric as you want through the machine. Click on the picture and look at some of the quilting - I used a side-to-side motion. Check out this blog for some great little videos on free motion quilting:

freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

For the moons I did use an iron-on product called Steam A Seam - it is double-sided fusible webbing. There was a little tiny bit of unraveling, but a lot of the fabrics I used for the moons are batiks, which are very tightly woven. Also this is an art quilt and not something that I will ever run through the washer and dryer. I would never use this technique on bed quilt or pillow.

Thanks for the complement - and the questions! Happy New Year!

Arathi said...

Donna, thanks for answering all my queries so patiently! :)

Happy New Year to you too!

quiltalina said...

What a beauty. I love the colors and would love to see a photo of it's special place in your living room. BTW, the pictures of your studio are wonderful.
quiltfever.wordpress.com

quiltalina said...

Hi Donna, thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving the lovely comments. You made my day! I don't know if you track replies, but I answered that NO, I have never used spray basting again. Although some quilters seem to love it, I hated it.