Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Table Runner and a New Purse Pattern

It's been a luxury to have the past three days clear to sew. After getting Christopher's quilt to the next stage, my time was free. And these two projects are ones I've been eyeing and wanting to start. My love affair with all things Jinny Beyer continues, and this table runner - although a fairly simply pattern - packs a terrific visual punch because of her fabrics. I'm trying to decide whether to use the piece of backing fabric as an additional border and thus enlarge the whole runner. The finished size is 12" by 60", but I wouldn't mind making it a bit bigger for our table.

This purse has a design that I like, and I thought it would be simple to make. Wrong. Very wrong. What's making me finish this is that I love the batik of the outside of the purse and I also love the coordinating fabric for the lining. But I'm stuck on the directions and can't figure out what to do next. Solution? Sewing buddy Midge. She made a copy of this pattern and has fabrics to make this purse for her granddaughter. I think I'll have to wait for her to get to this stage and then show me what to do.

I'm great with flat stuff but fall apart when there is any shaping involved.

7 comments:

Carol G said...

Gorgeous fabrics in both projects. Is the center diamond on the runner made from Jinny border fabric? I love the styling of the bag.

Donna said...

That center square is made from a Jinny Beyer border fabric! She knocks me out with the fabric designs.

Z Any Mouse said...

I've had the pattern for Jennifer's Bag laying around for a while, never made it because I could not understand the stinkin' directions. I've been sewing for 35 years and have never had this happen. I'm glad it's not just me! I've even emailed the designer to see if there is an online tutorial....still waiting. Your finished bag looks great!

Z Any Mouse said...

Do you have any tips on how to make this bag? I love the fabrics you chose.

Donna said...

I get what you mean about the directions. Buddy Midge was able to follow them and guide me through it. But also where there's a will there's a way! Go ahead and start and then email me with questions and I'll try to guide you through it. As she was reading the finishing directions, I went ahead and finished the straps on my own and like how they turned out.

I bought this pattern because it looked simple. HA! I like how this turned out, but I don't think I'll make another. Best wishes as you start this project!

Z Any Mouse said...

Thanks, Donna. I've got it all cut out and I'm ready to begin sewing. The designer also answered my email. No online tutorial, but she clarified the directions a bit. Hopefully I can send you a picture of the finished product. **fingers crossed**

Donna said...

Seriously, keep me posted with your progress. And I'm more than curious to know what sort of tips the designer has given you!

Happy Tension!