Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Can you smell it?

My studio has taken on a different aura. Can you smell it? It's the smell of teenage boys and gyms. I'd say the smell is like that of a hockey rink, but seriously - I've never been in one. This is going to be a high school graduation present. In addition to hockey, this young man is also involved in hunting, and his mother has requested camouflage fabric for the back of the quilt. The fabric is ordered but hasn't yet arrived. Once it does arrive, I'll make a decision on what fabric to use for the sashing. Hard to believe these jerseys will turn into a fabulous quilt. But they will!

(Let me clarify - these jerseys have been meticulously washed and actually smell quite fresh - the smell I'm smelling is really an aura thing, not a true physical smell!)

4 comments:

Z Any Mouse said...

As the mother of two teenage boys, I immediately thought "Oh you poor thing! ROLL DOWN THE WINDOWS!!"

COLLEEN said...

I sure do know that smell! It has been a long time but one a Mom never forgets. I made 2 t shirt quilts for Grandsons graduating in May, I did them for Christmas. And I had so much fun! The pics are in Dec posts on my blog with pics of the guys, also made one for great nephew. All the guys love their quilts.

Carol G said...

Do you put interfacing or something on the back of the T-shirts you make into quilts?

Donna said...

Most of these are pretty thick, professional-type hockey jerseys. There are a couple of pretty thin practice jerseys, too. I do not interface any of them but I will use a cotton sashing. Between that and a sturdy batting, like Warm N Natural, they do just fine.