Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Different Baby Quilt


There is nothing usual about this baby quilt. In fact, this quilt is a "first" on so many different levels. First, it's 50 x 70, which is pretty large for a baby quilt. Second, the colors are way out of my comfort level, but I do like these fabrics. Third, I didn't wash these fabrics. Instead I washed the quilt twice when it was completed. Since the batting is 100% cotton Warm N Natural, it has puckered and softened beautifully. The texture of the quilt is what I prefer.

But what really sets this quilt apart is the quilting. With the exception of channel stitching in the outer border, this quilt is entirely free-motion quilted. And while 1000's of quilters do free-motion quilting, this is something new in my repertoire. This baby quilt became a huge practice piece. If you click on the pictures, you can see that each print has a different kind of quilting. For the dark purple bits, I did use dark purple on the bottom, so you can see that quilting on the back of the quilt.

This quilt is for my friend Cecilia's third grandchild, and she gave me permission to do what I wanted. What a great opportunity to try new things on this quilt! This design is "Fashion District" from Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr's Quilts Made Modern.

2 comments:

Carol G said...

I love it. What a wonderful idea for practicing free motion quilting. Using dark purple highlights makes for an interesting back. That was very brave for practice!

debbi d-w said...

Love the effect on the back - Brava for risking new techniques!