Thursday, August 18, 2011

International Left-Handers Day

August 13 was International Left-Handers Day.  Yes, I know it's August 18 today.  I'm only five days late acknowledging this date.  To right-handers this day may not seem significant.  But being left-handed has been a life-long adjustment to right-handers and their world.  I have to teach cutting and quilting techniques with someone across from me, not next to me, and use mirror-imaging.  Rather than continue to whine, I am celebrating with an entry in the  First Annual International LEFT-HANDED Quilters Anonymous Online Quilt Show with my best quilt.  This is Jinny Beyer's Around the World design and her fabrics.  The center and corners involved paper-piecing, a technique that baffles some left-handers.  What I love about this quilt is its luminescence.  It hangs in my studio.



I do have to enter a second piece in the category of Best Quilt. Out of Africa is an original design and it represents one of my first attempts to break out of the traditional quilting mold.  The center is woven, there's some interesting surface quilting, and the borders are read ethnic.  The piece hangs at the Salt Creek Wine Bar in Brookfield, Illinois, where John and I had our 60th-70th birthday party almost two years ago.




For more of this left-handed quilt festival, check it out here.

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Donna! So glad you could join us! Beautiful entries! And as they say - better late than never! ;))
^..^

emedoodle said...

AMEN! I can't see your pictures, but I'm sure they're awesome. I laugh every time I sew with my friend Mary - she's right handed and I'm teaching her to sew... she freaks me out with the rotary cutter! I always think she's doing it all wrong!! :)

Donna said...

Em, didn't realize you're a leftie, too! And what's up with Blogger? Just re-edited - hope you can see these now.

debbi d-w said...

LOVE the Out of Africa quilt Donna! I'll have to go to the spot & check it out in person - glass of wine in hand.:-) I miss CMQG folks - I've been swamped in a new job, but I plan to get back there eventually. Say hi to everyone for me!