Monday, August 15, 2011

Round Robin - It's Actually Fun!

The first time I heard of a "round robin," I wasn't at all intrigued.  In fact, I remember thinking, "I don't ever want to do this." 

A round robin is a quilt that is done in stages by several quilters.  Each quilter puts on a different round.  This piece above belongs to Sue Ryan, former Chicago Modern Quilt Guild treasurer and current programming committee member.  Sue is a free spirit.  This is the second time I've worked on something for Sue, and both have been liberating experiences.

This round robin came after the CMGQ devoted its June meeting to applique techniques.  Those who wanted to participate in the round robin brought in a 8" block featuring applique to the July meeting.  Round One, due at the August 21 meeting, is rectangles.  I used rectangles from my black and white collection, especially perfect since Sue incorporates black-and-white prints into all of her quilts. 

Rachel has my applique block, gave me a sneak peak, and I love what she's done with it. 

http://sidetrackedrandomness.blogspot.com/

I'm really very excited to see all of our blocks with Round 1 completed and hear what the assignment is for Round 2 and what new block I get.  So why is this fun now?  I think the Round Robin project I saw had too many rules and too many constraints, too many matchy-matchy fabrics.  Or maybe I'm just a better team player now.  At any rate, this is fun!

2 comments:

emedoodle said...

I think I understand how you feel about not having wanted to do this sort of thing before, but in turn loving it. I felt that way about online quilting bees, then a blog friend of mine invited me to join one. I was so blown away by even being considered equal among the other members that I couldn't decline! I have enjoyed that bee so much that we'll be going on for another year! I think it's partially the people and the spirit of the project. I've really enjoyed the round robin so far!

Carol G said...

I love what you added to Sue's center applique. Please keep posting the rounds!