Sunday, December 4, 2011

I love my Chicago Modern Quilt Guild

 
We had our final meeting of 2011 today. What a good year it's been with these women. Today's meeting was a sew-in, but there were a few other things going on. Of course we had a show and tell. I'm just amazed by what my fellow guildsters do. There was a Scrap Bag Swap, which I couldn't bear to be a part of. Actually I should have brought in bags of scraps -that'd be one way to reduce the piles on my scrap table. And the final round of the Round Robins has been completed. Here's a picture of my piece. It started with my applique of the three cirlcle in the middle. Round Two was "rectangles", and Rachel did this part. Sarah S used some fabulous Oriental prints for the "diamonds" portion. Holly then added the next round, which features "curves." Sue had the final round and used Flying Geese as a way to interpret "triangles." I am floored by this finished piece. It has a unity and flow even though five very different quilters worked on it. And I think that was true of each one of the Round Robin pieces I saw today.

Friend Ebony gave me a purse today, one she designed and made. I've touched it and drooled over it for the past few months. All my hinting paid off! The adjustable strap allows it to be an over-the shoulder or across-the-body bag. It's a generous size and of course beautifully constructed. Temtex gives it some wonderful body! She has named this bag "Mulberry," an obvious choice. Check out the zipper in the final picture.
Ebony also gave me a furishiki, which contained a lovely pair of earrings.  How much fun to have such a generous friend and mentor!
I love guild meetings because I can see what the Emilies are doing  I can check in and reconnect with fellow officers Beth and Jen and Terri.  I can meet new people, like Jacquie and Tina and Tricia.  I can get to know Sarah E, Holly, and Mimi better.  And I can see how Erika is developing as a quilter.  Eileen made me a generous offer to check out her Home Dec stash.  Sarah S is doing her first "life celebration" quilt and wanted to talk about the process.   Sue continues to amaze me with her idea and choices - her idea for and execution of the Round Robins?  Genius.  Karen stopped delivering babies long enough to come with her friend Jennifer S.  Rachel dropped in despite her daughter's first cheer competition.  Connie, Robbi, Sara H, Michele, Mary, Yolande - talented and interesting women. 

But back to getting ready for next week's Alternative Christmas Market at the LaSalle Street Church.  It's Sunday, December 11, at the Cornerstone Center, 1111 N. Wells - 10 am - 1:30 pm.  I had intended to get 16 minibags completed at today's meeting.  I finished one.  But as I said, I love my Chicago Modern Quilt Guild girls...





Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

sparklesax said...

and we love you!
-Sarah E

Sarah said...

Wow, you are quick! And the love is absolutely mutual! You are such an inspiration to be around.
Sarah S.

Ebony said...

Generous? Mentor? Friend? All words I would use to describe my fabulous, lovely Donna! The gifts you received today are nothing compared to the gift I have in you. *hugs & kisses*!! See you in the new year!

Carol G said...

That is the most fabulous Round Robin quilt I have ever seen!

Karen said...

ditto what Sarah E said...and Sarah S!!!!

Sue R. said...

I SEE THE FIBER UNIVERSE IN YOUR PIECE....(AND YES I AM COMPLETELY SOBER)...