Monday, December 12, 2011

Not Much Gained...


My foray into "retail" was successful enough - I sold 2 Amazing Red Scrappy totes, 3 Amazing Technicolor Dream Totes, and 3 shopping bags.  But I don't think I'll do anything like this again.  Well, not anytime soon

Being at a church was a nice, safe venue. And the other vendors were all nice people, too. The bonus of the day was hanging out with my sister-in-law. I need to send the church 10% of my profits - $25.00.


It was nice today to be able to restore some sort of order to the studio and work on a few things which I've been wanting to get to. And whip up just one more Mors bag. This one is for my dentist who is also a violinist.
This bag is one that John is giving to a woman at our bank who's been extremely helpful to us in the past year. 


My brother Doug and I were driving to a family funeral in Indiana years ago, perhaps the one for Judy White, my cousin Bill's lovely wife who died way too young. And I remember we had a long, extensive conversation about the profit motive. We come from a family where profit wasn't part of the work equation. Of course my father worked, but he was paid for his piano tuning and he was paid union scale for his accordion jobs. My years of teaching? Of course I made money, but none of it was profit-oriented. So to sell my work for profit - it's just something I'm not comfortable with. Pricing my pieces was difficult. But once I did arrive at what I thought was a fair price, friend Rich Seidelman made this wonderful graphic which I had with me yesterday. 

I value what I do.  But I like giving it away much more than I like selling it. 

2 comments:

Carol G said...

I'm very surprised you didn't sell some of the smaller items you made. But I agree, it takes some of the fun away when you are profit motivated. So now you have a nice stock of special presents to share whenever an occasion arises.

Z Any Mouse said...

Your prices are more than fair, although I might have priced the Mors bags at $20. It is so difficult to price things, taking into consideration the materials, hours put in, and the economy. I'd say you did pretty well, congratulations!

I learned a very hard lesson this winter after being completely ripped off by a client for some Christmas stockings she ordered. I didn't even get reimbursed for my materials, let alone my hours. She basically walked off with 4 free fancy stockings, and I learned that I have to invoice the heck out of everything and stop being so nice. Oh well.