Monday, February 6, 2012

Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

Have I mentioned lately much I love my Chicago Modern Quilt Guild? Our Program Chair Terri and committee member Sue are leading this month's meeting, which will be devoted to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative.

This meeting and the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative are especially timely for me: my mom is in late stages of Alzheimer's. Despite her disconnect from her memory and friends and family, she's very pleasant. Most amazing is her musical ability: she still plays the piano accurately and soulfully.

John and I just returned from his "hard core" jazz cruise. I loved it. We heard such spectacular music. I fell in love with Jay Leonhart, Shelly Berg, Wycliffe Gordon, and Tommy Igoe. (Seriously, Wycliffe Gordon is a trombone player - who knew I loved the trombone?) There was music from 10 am until midnight - and beyond.

I'll be missing the February guild meeting and want to participate in the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. And this 9" x 12" is what I did today. It needs a name before I can submit it. There's a connection between my mom, her music, the jazz cruise, and the power of sound. Tonight I just can't see it.

9 comments:

Carol G said...

Your quilt is so alive! I love the music notes and quilting lines coming out of the trumpet. Can't wait to hear what you name it.

Beth said...

Wow, Donna, I can actually "feel" the music in your quilt - it's wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing information about the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative! I lost my Dad to Alzheimer’s in December of 2010 and have been committed to raising money for research through AAQI since he was diagnosed in 2006. I am a quilter and I love that the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative is a grass roots organization that is totally staffed by volunteers so that every available dollar can be used to fund research. I love your little quilts and am thrilled that your guild has taken up our cause!

Josie Ray said...

What an amazing design. Ditto to what Carol said about it being alive. So glad the cruise transcended "just another cruise" for you. Keep up the beautiful work from your heart.

Michele said...

Such a fun and vibrant quilt. And the AAQI is such a wonderful organization.

Ami Simms said...

Thank you so much for your support of the AAQI. We are so grateful for those who make quilts and those who purchase them from our website.

Donna, you quilt is beautiful. I can't wait to hold it in my hands.

Thank you!
Ami Simms
Founder & Executive Director
Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

stichnRN said...

how about
ALL THAT JAZZ???
or
THE BEAT GOES ON?????

Anonymous said...

How about: Make a Joyful Noise!

Ann said...

My father, his sister, and my father-in-law all had Alzheimer's. I too create little quilts for AAQI - thank you and your group for what you do.
Your music quilt is lively... Maybe:"Passion Power."

Diane said...

Awesome quilt, Donna and I get to see it IRL, since I'm the receiver for the quilts! I just joined your group too. Love the idea of doing a Priority Quilt meeting this month!