Monday, March 26, 2012

2012 Spring CMQG Retreat

The Chicago Modern Quilt Guild's spring retreat ended yesterday.  It was our third retreat at the Siena Center in Racine, Wisconsin, and we have already booked for next fall and spring 2013.  It is such a lovely place for our work.  Our spacious room had three walls of windows overlooking Lake Michigan. 

The 24 of us retreatants attended this weekend for various reasons.  Some are full-time working women; some are full-time moms.  Some fall into both categories.  I have a lot of dedicated sewing time, so for me this retreat was about working out of my safe zone and trying something new -. in this case light and a bit off-kilter This first project has sixty 8" blocks so far - here are 16 of them assembled.  I ran out of the Kona Bone background, and our lovely treasurer Sarah Evans sold me some of her extra yardage (because she's just that kind of gal who travels with bolts of fabrics).  Now I think I want to add some plain fabric blocks and work with the whole negative space concept. 

The other project I worked on was a Drunkard's Path that I die-cut at the retreat a year ago but never finished.  Ebony gave me some tips about piecing this block, and now all the small blocks are done - I just have to work on the layout. 

This weekend I was inspired by the work of our veteran quilters and definitely by some of our newer quilters.  I am constantly surprised at how much I love this group of multi-skilled, multi-aged, multi-racial women. 

1 comment:

Carol G said...

Sounds like great fun and a wonderful place to try something new.