Sunday, August 19, 2012

Cutting Mat Bag

Just when you think you have it all, you see something you NEED. Guildster Melissa came over for a playday and brought in her own cutting mat in a fabulous bag she made. And she had loaned me the magazine in which she found the pattern (Fons and Porter's Easy Quilts, Summer 2008). This bag carries an 18" x 24" cutting mat and requires a bit of yardage. So I hit my pile of Too Ugly/Old to Live fabrics and found a vintage Jinny Beyer border print and coordinating fabric. Then I began to tailor the bag to what I know I need by changing the orientation to portrait rather than landscape, enlarging the outer pockets so that the big one can hold a book, and adding an inner pockets with the center one being open so that it can stabilize the 6.5" by 24" ruler.










Cutting mats are hard to transport, just because of their size. And I have broken two rulers. Going to sew-ins, retreats, and workshops has just become a lot easier with this ready-to-go bag in which all items are secure. One of the interior pockets has my spare rotary cutter and even an extra blade. The last adaptation I made to this bag was to use Soft and Stable byannie.com for the tote straps.  This batting provides a nice stability that a bag of this size needs.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I would love a bag like this. Did you make templates? Do you know if I can still get the pattern from the magazine? You're really talented to make those alterations.

Donna said...

Ellen, I tried to email you but you have no e-address listed. Please contact me at donna@moquilt.com and we'll talk about this. Or else google Cutting Mat Bag. Several things come up!

Anonymous said...

Donna, Can you please email the pattern to me at mjones@armadahoffler.com? Thanks.