Thursday, August 9, 2012

Modern Art Challenge


My piece for Terri Karls is finished. The interior monologues I have with her while doing this have ranged from frustration to gratitude. This exercise was truly a fun one and worth the emotional turmoil to be stretched outside of my safe zone. Terri's chosen artist is Friedensreich Hundertwasser (1928 - 2000), an Austrian who eventually moved to New Zealand. From the Eycyclopedia Britannica: He incorporated bright, contrasting colours, elaborate ornamentation, asymmetrical, organic forms, and natural vegetation in both his artwork and his buildings." This piece is 19" x 19" and part of the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild's Modern Art Challenge, Summer 2012. Ok, going back into my safe zone now!
 Here's the picture Terri gave me - the quality is not terrific (my fault).  Just ramp up all the colors, and you have a pretty good picture for your mind!

5 comments:

Carol G said...

After seeing your process and result, I think I may suggest such an exercise to my guild subgroup!

Elaine said...

This is gorgeous, Donna! Wish I could have taken part in this challenge-- miss you guys!

Kath Roswell said...

As they always say, amazing things are bound to happen if you're willing enough to step out of your comfort zone. And not surprisingly, it did in this situation. You just have to embrace the difficult border that comes along with excellence.

bb said...

Beautiful!

Miss Sews-it-all said...

This is so much MORE awesome in person! I love it Donna, nicely done for how "out of your comfort zone" this project was!