Monday, September 3, 2012

Spontaneous Overflow of Powerful Feelings


Do those words look familiar? It's Wordsworth's definition of poetry. But it's my definition of why I sew. Yesterday - instead of bursting into song as most of my family is apt to do - I burst into "bag." I had to use this fabric, and within three hours it had become a tote that turns into a duffel. I sew my best when I'm sewing for someone, as is the case here. This fabric was one I had designed from Spoonflower and had just never gotten around to using. It was too unique to cut up and is really perfect in this application.

And of course there's the ever-changing pile of quilts for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. Each one of them comes with an artistic statement. It's a daily reminder of how pervasive Alzheimer's is. And I'm beginning to realize that each quilt artist has a purpose for her artistic expression and an outlet for her powerful feelings.

No comments: