Friday, February 8, 2013

QuiltCon Linky Party

Going to QuiltCon in Austin, Texas from February 20th - 24th is terribly exciting for me.  This first modern quilting convention will have displays and vendors and quilters who will provide all the creative nourishment I could ever want.  Over 15 from the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild will be in Austin, and we are proud to have a charity quilt ready for the Austin Children's Shelter.  What fun it will be to see this quilt hung with the others.  Also, Erika Sews from our guild has a quilt which will be exhibited - Erika is also embroidering name tags with our Chicago logo!  That girl is clever.

 So for this Linky Party, here are 5 things you probably already know about me:

1.  I loved teaching high school English, but I love being retired even more.
2.  I'm overwhelmed by the whole modern quilt movement and the impact it is having on my work and my aesthetic.
3.  Involvement with the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild is yielding some of the best friends ever.
4.  No matter how much time I have to sew, it is never enough.  With recent parental issues and stepping up volunteering for AAQi.org , I'm having to be much more selective about what sewing I do.
5.  My husband and traveling with him make me happy.  In March we are going to Morocco. 

And here are 5 things you may not know:

1. After I taught in Chicago for two years, I backpacked around Europe for the entire 1973 summer.
2.  When my husband gave me the "being Miss Piggy at the banquet of life" lecture, I listened intently.  I traded my piano for some stained glass pieces and have never looked back. 
3.  I went to a small Christian liberal arts college in East Tennessee - Milligan College.  Every fall this native of Chicago gets homesick for the mountains.
4.  I had a short-lived career as DoJo the Clown when I was in my early 20's.  
5.  I'm old enough that I once had a stash of calicoes.  

I am constantly agog.  Even as recently as the seeing the winners of the Madrona Road challenge.   When I was cutting these fabrics for distribution at the guild meeting, I was thinking "ho-hum." But then I see these pieces and I'm all like , "OMG! These are fabulous!"  You know, that whole Gaaahhhhl-leeeeeee thing...  I feel like Gomer Pyle at each show and tell our guild has.  We have some quilters who just amaze and inspire me.  Yes, Emily Bruzzini and Emily Lang and Erika Sews and Jacquie Gering and the Sarahs and Jen and Beth and Eileen and Robbi and Rachel and Terri and Karen and Ebony and Sue and Melissa and - wait, this list could go on for a while.  I'm feeling like Miss Frances from Romper Room.  My point:  I'm looking forward to QuiltCon.



3 comments:

Mary Colter said...

Donna, we'll have a great deal to talk about on the plane? Miss Piggy? A clown? Can't wait for QuiltCon!

Anonymous said...

Haha, know where I was the summer of 1973 ;-) Your excitement Is contagious, and inspiration comes and gies in both directions. XO

Beth

Miss Sews-it-all said...

Please, calico fabrics are not that old! Donna, you amaze me with all the wonderful travel adventures you and your husband take together. And I'm looking forward to seeing you at QuiltCon!