Monday, May 20, 2013

My Quilting and Sondheim

 In Stephen Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George there's a song lyric:  Work is what you do for others; art is what you do for you.  I have always loved that line.  Last week and this week I am working.  I quilted two baby quilts made by my Kennedy teacher friend Jen - one is for her yoga teacher, and the other is for her.  I love how Jen, a beginning quilter, made these simple quilts of horizontal bands of fabrics.  So simple but so nice.  She will now do the binding to finish off the quilts.
 My other work is for a woman who loves to buy and cut fabric.  But she doesn't care for the sewing part.  So she puts together her "kit", and I do nothing but follow her directions and layout.  Here's the first one she designed that I did.  She mentioned she has a couple more grandchildren.  I will happily work for Roberta because I like her projects.

Roberta requested her granddaughter's name on the back of the quilt.  So I put what I learned at the February meeting of the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild to use. 

I have one more commission to work on and then I can focus of my art - a Winter seasonal challenge due in July and something fabulous with three Marcia Derse fabrics...  Art is what I do for me.

No comments: