Thursday, June 13, 2013

Back from Paducah

Elements of "Winter"
The National Quilt Museum in Paducah was nice enough. Very traditional in its holdings. What made the museum for me was the exhibit of the work of Emika Toda Loeb - she does amazing things with log cabins and with design and color. The highlight of the drive was access to Hancock's of Paducah, a fabulous fabric warehouse. I've ordered from there for years. So to actually see this plan in operation was fascinating.
Getting ready to scan some AAQI quilts
I did buy fabrics for a quilt for my sister. It's one thing to have a Kona card - it's another thing entirely to see bolts of these fabrics. I stocked up on some wonderful neutrals, found a fabulous green batik renmant as well as some black remnants, purchased some Aurafil thread, and rescued a renmants of an Asian-y panel of fabric goodness.
For my sister's Grandmother's House quilt
Special thanks to CMQG sister Sue R for telling me to allow at least two hours for Hancock's of Paducah. Which I did. Which is more time than we spent at the museum. Go figure. Special thanks to John for staying at the hotel and smoking his cigar. Which I normally don't encourage... But it was perfect for Paducah. Since we came home one day early, I have this bonus free day and am returning to work on "Winter."
It was only $5/yard - each square is 8 x 8. 

No comments: