Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Camp Stitchalot - Part 2


 

Carolyn Friedlander is a young quilter, an architect by trade, whose fabric designs and now new book, are hot hot hot. The way some of my guild members throw around the names of fabric designers scares me a little bit. I just don't pay attention. Until I see something I like. And within the past six months I have become aware of fabrics that are architextural in design. And whose fabrics do you think these were? Yep. Carolyn Friedlander. Then I bought a copy of her book Savor Each Stitch. The past half year has been one in which I have slowed down and experienced the joy of handwork - so her book is timely for me. At Stitchalot Carolyn focused on teaching us a method of hand applique. It was odd to be in a room with 30 quilters and not have any machine whirring away. Needle-turn applique is awkward for me, but I did improve a little over the weekend.  On the strip below, five of those circles are appliqued.

 I'll take these circles to my mom's tomorrow and see how far I get.  Even with a needle threader, it's difficult to thread the applique needle - I may have to use something bigger.  My goal is to inset a strip of circles into the above Yoshiko Jinzenji fabric (look, another designer name!).  Carolyn's use of hand applique and machine quilting is inspiring, and that's the direction I want to head in with this panel.  Carolyn gave us little samples of her new fabric line, Doe.  And I must say there are several fabrics that I like a lot.

The pairing of Carolyn Friedlander and Sherri Lynn Wood as counselors at Camp Stitchalot was very clever.  They are quite different in their approach to quilting, and both have enriched the bag of tricks and techniques that I bring to quilting.  A good good weekend.

3 comments:

Mary Colter said...

Great description of the two counselors! Good luck with the applique.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

As a Leftie - you might want to check out the page/tab - "LHQ - Hand Sewing" on my blog - I have a post on "Needle-turn Applique" - you can see how I do it. With circles - it helps me to take only a stitch or two at a time before turning the circle - AND I tend to sew counter-clockwise around the bottom of the circle - ;))

Jennifer Lowe said...

Your recap of Camp Stitchalot prompted me to look up future sessions. Unfortunately, I can't attend the summer sessions due to work and the fall session this year is already sold out!!! Oh, well. Maybe in 2016...