Friday, January 23, 2015

Victorian Shadowbox: Ready for the next 25 years!

When students are learning English as a Second Language, they are classified as ELL's - emerging language learners. This quilt I made when I was an EQM - an emerging quilt maker.  My primitve basting method means there are nice big folds in the backing.  My straight-line quilting isn't so straight.  The binding was pretty horrible - I didn't even know how to miter corners! And let's not even talk about the quilting in the quilt.  I did this on a domestic machine with a small harp, and this quilt is 84" x 104".

With the old binding cut off and the new binding security attached, this quilt has a primitive beautify and softness and is good to go for another 25 years.  Quilters give quilts away.  So it's great to be able to have my hands on something I made and see how it's lasted.  This quilt will be very happy in its St. Joe, Michigan, home with my sister. 


1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

"Primitive beauty" - what a wonderful way to describe our early efforts - ;))