Monday, June 22, 2015

Proud Maker

Things in the Mo House are returning to some kind of normal.  While John went to the Elkhart, IN Jazz Festival, I attended a couple of artsy events.  One was at Lill Street Art Center.  A Maker's Salon featured a sketch artist, a miniature mosaic artist, a quilter, and a potter.  I went to hear my fellow guildster Tricia talk about her quilts.  She has a loud, colorful aesthetic and brings a sense of pragmatism to her quilts.  She has repurposed clothing for quilts, found and used vintage fabrics, and creates like no one else in our guild.  The following day several in my guild and I drove to Park Forest to the Tall Grass Arts Association where one of my blogging heroes, Chawne Kimber of Completely Cauchy, had a small exhibit of her quilts.  She and a metal sculptor were featured. 

There was so much talk about art and the artist and would would the audience like to see and how to help the audience understand the art.  I kept thinking about Kafka's "The Hunger Artist" which deals with the artist's dilemma of following her art or pandering to the masses.  But what I really kept going back to - and what separates quilting from some of the other arts - is that quilts are pretty AND pragmatic.  They are a combination of form and function.  So many of Chawne's quilts are political and thoughtful.  She is a genius at word play, as evidenced by her quilt "In essence, I am a cotton picker," a nod to both her heritage and her avocation.   Yet, they still are quilts. Here is a link to just some of her quilts.

I am a proud maker.  I love that some of my friends spent the night at my house and slept under my quilts/craft/work.  I love that my grandson will take one of my quilts back to college with him.  I love that John and I, regardless of season, sleep under quilts I have made.   And I love that people like Tricia and Chawne and others in my guild and in the blogging world inform and inspire my quilting.

These days I am calm.  My to-do list is long, but I am not frantic.  I will just plug away and enjoy each day of craft as it come.  Tomorrow?  Getting back to a t-shirt quilt.  The mom spent an hour on her hands and knees creating the layout for this quilt.  This photo is to help me reproduce her layout because it's not on the floor anymore.





1 comment:

Jennifer Lowe said...

Donna, the pragmatism is one of the things I love about quilting, too! I actually can't work on something at all, unless I have a project and a purpose for it. That is why my hexies languish, even though I love working with them.