Saturday, November 14, 2015

So Fiddly...But Perhaps Worth It

 This cross-body purse has 10 pattern pieces.  And I didn't have a finished product in front of me.  So it's been a frustrating day of sewing.  QFF Wayne told me about the Sew Powerful Purse Project.  This organization solicits purses made from this pattern that "are used in local schools and clinics in Lusaka, Zambia as part of Menstration Hygiene Management (MHM) programs. This simple gift – combined with re-usable sanitary pads and health information can make a tremendous difference in the lives of adolescent girls...  Our ministry partners work hard to educate and inform the girls in their community so that they stay in school and grow in confidence and self-esteem. It really is sew powerful!"  I do love making purses, and he thought this would be right up my alley.  But after downloading the pattern and seeing the degree of difficulty and fiddliness, I thought perhaps I could send one of my own purses.  But this organization is pretty specific and wants only this pattern.  So I wanted to make at least one and see whether I want to do more - or strongarm any of my guildsters - into doing more of these.

There's a long front flap that covers the entire purse.  This front flap has a small pouch on the out side.  Lift up the big flap, and there's another pocket.  You can see my pin cushion tucked into this pocket.  And then there's the interior of the purse.  There's a long strap securely attached.  I may have to make one more of these before I make a final judgment.  And I'm not even going to mention the number of seams that had to be unsewed.  Perhaps it might be easier to donate money to this organization...



No comments: