Friday, July 8, 2016

Brighten the Corner...

When I was so seriously ill last summer, my sister asked me - among other things - if I had my funeral song ready.  And I do:  Brighten the Corner Where You Are.  The news the past few days has been extremely violent - innocent black men being shot, out of control gun violence, suicide bombing in so many places.   My solace is my faith and my sewing.  This is a perfect time for me to be working on purses for the Zambian health initiative for young women.  Read about it at sewpowerful.org.



These four are complete.  I used up the last of this interesting print and even had to piece some of it for the last purse.  And the red batik?  I love.  I still have 3/4's of a yard of it left.  Each purse is a bit different.
 I confessed in a Facebook Sew-A-Long that I was having trouble threading the elastic for this little front pocket.  One of the participants suggested a bodkin.  And Joann's had one.  Doing this step is now a breeze.  Who knew that my answer has been in one of Shakespeare's soliloquys (.."To be...)




Here's a preview of the next three purses for Sew Powerful.

So much is out of my control.  But I know I need to feel these losses of life as deeply as those intimately involved.  More guns being the answer?  I just don't think so.

No comments: