Friday, December 30, 2016

A Constellation of Riches


The sun is low in the sky, and morning lights my living room in such a beautiful way.  This is my view as I drink coffee and read.  I am purposely not taking a picture of the massive construction project across the street and am so glad you cannot hear the beeping of the construction vehicles.  This is a time to focus on blessings, not annoyances.

Health, wealth, loving husband,personal happiness, wonderful friends, a ticket to Hamilton.  What more can one ask for?

Christmas Day John and I volunteered for Christmas Cheer - there were 500 who delivered meals to 20,000 people.  So many highlights but one especially was running into a fellow LT 67' grad - Jeff Stewart, whom I vaguely remembered.  We had been with the Moscinskis the night before, and the Whites got together on the 26th.  Our house was a hive of activity - and calories.


Sam, Nikki, Grandpa John, Natalie, Ben, (standing) Ryan, Jack, Brandon

Julie, John, me, Jennifer, Mark

Mors bags for my brothers and nieces/nephews
Little gift bags for a dinner party tonight - with thanks to quilty Melissa!




The most "holiday" thing we did in December was to go on the Illumination Walk at the Morton Arboretum.  Friends Dorothy and Greg bought the tickets.  The walk was about a mile and included various warming tents.  We had to bundle up but enjoyed being out in the dark and seeing all the clever light displays.  They then treated us to a crock pop chicken dinner which was ready when we came back to their house.  What a great winter activity!
My brother had his 4 granddaughters with him on the 26th. These little girls were terrific, considering they were in a house with very little for their entertainment. The two younger ones spent a lot of time in the studio, running around and making little tiny adjustments. This cup hook is one that I keep a pair of scissors on, but Olive, Elle, and Isla decided it works better as a place to hang spools and bobbins. They might be right.

While I was busy thinking about the 10 year anniversary of Dodie's death, I completely missed marking the second year of my mom's death.  I felt a bit stupid for a while until I realized how absolutely at peace I am about my mom's death - she was spiritually safe and lived a long and full life.  Her death was part of the natural order of things.  

My Canadian buddy Bill Stearman at least weekly says, "Life is good."  And he's right.

3 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree - "Life is good." Hope you and your family have a very Happy New Year!! - ;))

Mary Colter said...

Your drawstring bags look fabulous. Thank you for the reminder to count our blessings.

Jocelyn Thurston said...

A lovely post, Donna. I could add to your blessings" a husband who cooks" coming from a wife whose husband asked her one day just recently, where do we keep the saucepans. But he's my blessing too. Happy, happy New Year!