Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Design: Wall and Mind

The current political landscape is so unsettling (i.e., Trump has been the minority-elect president for 11 days).  The news of the hour is that Betsy DeVos is our new education leader.  I don't want to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I don't see this going well for public education at all.  I hope I hope I hope she proves me wrong.  When I am unsettled with quilting projects, I make lists and plow through them.  Political projects?  Daily calls and emails.  Scheduling marches.  February 20 for "Not My President's Day."  April 15 to continue the call for Trump to release his taxes and divest himself of financial gain during his reign - er, presidency.  March is open.  Hmm, which of the protests - so many to choose from.  I'm in an odd frame of mind:  I can't watch or listen to news without my heart pounding or blood pressure rising.  So, I sew.  At nights I'm working on the above.  I try to keep my tension light - you can see I'm not doing the best job of that. 
This is one of the projects I'm working on during the day.  No more NPR for me - just listening to books and podcasts.  What's on the Design Wall is my 8 1/2" x 11" quilt.  That's the size of each block that then has the shadow sewn around it.  These fabrics all have something to do with school, notebooks, or paper.  While this is still evolving, I like how this is coming along.  It will be mostly black and white, and I already have ideas of how I want to quilt this. 
Chris and Andi's quilt is still on the design "floor" - it's in 12 pieces.  As long as I'm waiting for the batting to arrive and still figuring out what I want to back the quilt with, I am in no hurry to finish this.
And this quilt?  The top is complete.  I'm just using up various scraps and bits for the backing.  This is another quilt that I want to quilt myself. 

Meanwhile, I try to keep myself calm.  It's hard.

2 comments:

Jocelyn Thurston said...

Donna, you have some very interesting projects on the go. I love your hand quilting with No.8 Perle. I am happy you are finding comfort in your stitching in what is proving to be a very unsettling time. I told a friend I feel as if the world is shifting under my feet. I'm worrying about things I never did before. This is not the way you want to think when you are old.

Jennifer Lowe said...

Donna, I love all three of these quilts! I am envious of your ability to channel your energy into something productive. I just eat. I hope I see you at the next guild meeting!