Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Working at a snail's pace - but working!


What an odd February!  No snow - warm weather - perfect for walking.  Chris and Andi's wedding quilt is together, and the quilting is almost finished.  I found the perfect backing at Quilter's Quest last week, and it will be the binding as well.  I need to make the binding, and - Voila!  - completion soon.
This quilt on the design wall is taking shape very slowly.  It's been 15 years since I made a new quilt for my dining room, and I think this design will be perfect for the room.  Since John has to look at this quilt, I asked him for his input, and he has helped me rethink my way.  Each block will remain 8 1/2" by 11"; but I am not going to repeat any fabrics, and each fabric will be something connected to text or paper.  I have a several blocks I'm not using and will turn those into a bed quilt at some point.



My good buddy Cecilia had a birthday.  She is all about the sparkle, so I found my sparkly fabrics and made little drawstring bags in three sizes. Quilt buddy Melissa made me one of these bags for Christmas and then shared the pattern with me.  These are Fold-It-Hold-It bags, and you can get the pattern here

I am getting close to finishing the hand quilting of my Glam Clam quilt - just a couple more grey clams and then the greens to go.  This quilt has a border, and I want to quilt that, too.  So it's still a ways from completion.  This is the 4th quilt - and the 4th winter - that I have hand quilted.  I am thankful to quilt bestie Mimi for showing me the patience and to my class at QuiltCon 2015 with Maura Ambrose for helping me establish my technique.
This may not look like much, but this is our Valentine's Day present to one another.  We got rid of the big entertainment piece (see below) that would only house a 19" television.  This new piece, much to our dismay, came unassembled.  And like many couples, we don't always work well together.  But yesterday we did!  We got this piece assembled, went out for a new television and DVD player, and - this part is huge - even got everything hooked up and working.  We were smug with satisfaction last night!  This new piece goes with our dining room furniture.  We loved the other piece and have had it for over 25  years.  It will go on the curb for the LaGrange pick up day in April - unless anyone wants it.  Anyone?  Anyone? And I think another new quilt is in order!

2 comments:

Jocelyn Thurston said...

Such a pretty wedding quilt and I'm quite intrigued by your new dining room quilt. We never tire of optical type illusions. I think your old piece of furniture is quite beautiful but change is good too. Your stitching is lovely Donna and it is restorative, isn't it.

Lindsay said...

Donna, so nice to see you on the train today! I emailed the guild and asked them to forward my email address to you.Hope to see you again soon and I'll be back in the guild...maybe this fall!!