Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Quilter's Husband

My husband John? No. Check out this web site -Quilter's Husband.

One of the great pieces of equipment I have is a standing table. When I'm cutting or pin-basting a quilt, standing is necessary for leverage and mobility. In fact, it's such a necessary piece of equpment that I could almost use another. But then I could almost use another sewing/sitting surface. What to do? My studio is huge - really, it's 22'x 25'. The answer to my problem is The Quilter's Husband. At this website I found pieces of pre-cut PVC pipe adapted to raise the church-type banquet table from the standard 29" to 36".

The current project is a quilt made from hockey jerseys, some of which are so heavily embroidered that they don't even bend. Still, these jerseys are the basis for a quilt, which must like all quilts be quilted. That means basting together the top layer of the jerseys, the middle batting layer, and the bottom layer of muslin. The two 5' banquet tables with their wonderful additional legs gave me a 10' by 3' standing surface, idea for all the pin basting this quilt needs.

These three layers have created a piece that is fairly heavy. So, off come the legs from one of the table, and it can now be placed in L-fashion to my sewing table. Now it can support the weight of the quilt as I begin to work on it.

Paying attention to the ergonomics of quilting is important. And these little PVC legs are fabulous!

Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm Stuck

Sometimes I get stuck. And I'm stuck on niece Molly's quilt. Her palette is not a comfortable one for me - corals and greens. We went shopping in November, and Molly chose many of her fabrics. I filled in with some from my stash. Look at the March 31 entry. After three months of thinking, I decided to use this fairly complex block that is a 4-patch. Two of the four patches are fence rails, one patch is a 9-patch, and the final patch is one of 2 focal fabrics Molly chose. And I originally thought I would join these blocks with a dark green sashing, as illustrated in the 3/31 entry.

But as I started cranking out these blocks, the dark green sashing fell from favor. And I've begun to experiment with layouts that don't use sashing. This first one staggers the blocks. The second one groups the 9-patches of 4 blocks to create a rather busy secondary pattern. I think I'm leaning towards the first option with the staggered rows. I'll just keep the blocks on my design wall - er, floor - and keep playing for another few days. The hockey quilt will keep me busy enough.

Also check out this picture of the amaryllis. John's sister Terry gave us this in early December, and it is now on its FOURTH set of blossoms. I think it must be very happy in the studio.