Thursday, May 1, 2008
Sometimes I get stuck. And I'm stuck on niece Molly's quilt. Her palette is not a comfortable one for me - corals and greens. We went shopping in November, and Molly chose many of her fabrics. I filled in with some from my stash. Look at the March 31 entry. After three months of thinking, I decided to use this fairly complex block that is a 4-patch. Two of the four patches are fence rails, one patch is a 9-patch, and the final patch is one of 2 focal fabrics Molly chose. And I originally thought I would join these blocks with a dark green sashing, as illustrated in the 3/31 entry.
But as I started cranking out these blocks, the dark green sashing fell from favor. And I've begun to experiment with layouts that don't use sashing. This first one staggers the blocks. The second one groups the 9-patches of 4 blocks to create a rather busy secondary pattern. I think I'm leaning towards the first option with the staggered rows. I'll just keep the blocks on my design wall - er, floor - and keep playing for another few days. The hockey quilt will keep me busy enough.
Also check out this picture of the amaryllis. John's sister Terry gave us this in early December, and it is now on its FOURTH set of blossoms. I think it must be very happy in the studio.