Friday, July 29, 2022

So Many Projects: A Good Thing

Sometimes I’m happiest when plotting what projects I want to work on next.  And I’m also aware my stash is dangerously close to being out of hand.  Wait.  Let me restate the truth: my stash is out of hand.  See all these 2” strips?  Leftovers from a community project.  These aren’t my favorite colors to work with, but they are lovely.  I’m looking at a Fence Rail  design that will create a woven effect.  
Throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks…

One of the quilts that drew me into the modern movement over a decade ago was Double Plus Good by Rossie Hutchinson.  So I’ve been looking at background fabrics and plus fabrics.  I started making plus signs, after really editing the fabrics to use, but knew I didn’t want to create something so precise and symmetrical.  Look closely at the design wall, and you’ll spot a design featuring two different size plus signs and arranged sort of randomly.  This is a new pattern by Zen Chic.  And I like it so much more.  So I know where is quilt is headed.  Unlike what’s below…

Speak of Zen Chic, the middle fabric above is from her Lower The Volume collection.  And I love it,  I’ve been examining two-color quilts and looking for a design I want to do,  I’ll continue to look because no design is calling my name just yet.

And always always always I think about Sew Powerful purses.  I have several in process and five finished, preparing for a local demo.  I have a shelf of fabrics to use for purses.  But these fabrics came across my radar, and I had to buy a yard of each.  With the work in our condo finally complete, it's time for a "normal" schedule focusing on walking and sewing and cooking, making time for each with no excuses.  I miss the destination walking of LaGrange, but I do love the small hills and paved paths that are so accessible here.  And when the weather is icky I have the luxury of the workout room here.  Sewing?  I sew almost daily so it's not that difficult to schedule that in.  Cooking?  John is great, but I must do my share.  So I'm focusing on healthy recipes I want to make and that John will eat happily.  

This first summer here is wonderful.  My studio is well-lit, thanks to my LaGrange electrician, and airy.  We love this condo.

No comments: