My mom died 9 years ago December 22. It was actually 8 years ago, not 9. I had to admit to all three sibs I was wrong. Her death was welcomed and peaceful. I remember spending the next few weeks adding stitches to the quilt I was working on - and at that point I was still an emerging hand quilter. And now at this time of year in these deeply dark and cold days, I find hand stitching so comforting. A week ago I started adding stitches to this quilt. Its owner says this quilt top is 90 years old. Despite the age and fragility of the fabric, it is a quilt top that deserves to be finished. In each block I am outlining the butterfly. The sashing has been machine-quilted. I'm not crazy about this quilt, but it is satisfying to give this shape and life.
I love the Fika Tote pattern by Noodlehead. It's so well-written and turns out nicely. This is the second one I've made, and it went to Cristina. I'm in the process of making another and possibly another. For years I''ve been cutting from a roll of Soft and Stable that I bought years ago. That roll is gone, and I actually had to purchase some by the yard from ByAnnie. Bags cannot be made without it! Imagine the bag below without the red clips!
I figured out what stitching to add to my Left-handed Leftover Liberal Quilt. And I like the effect. I was all set to hang this in our dining room, but John asked me not to. Hrumpppphhhhhh....
The people in our building are more than friendly. Daily we open our door and find a little something there, like some chocolate or a little Christmas decoration. So I've been making key fobs. In addition to the hardware, you only need a 4" x 13" bit of fabric. I may have to crank out a few more.
It's a peaceful cold gloomy day. And I'm pretty content.






No comments:
Post a Comment