QuiltCon 2023 was in Atlanta. John’s daughter lives there. So we drove down with our ultimate destination being Orlando, where John’s sister and my nephew live. No total immersion at QuiltCon this year. Instead, I spent one day there, mostly to hear the keynote speaker Chawne Kimber. I sat with the Chicago group and spoke with a couple of my quilty heroes and spent maybe an hour before the keynote looking at quilts. Seeing quilts helps me identify what I like and what I’d like to try. Here are a few of the quilts that caught my eyes...
 |
| Coffee and Cream by Lorraine Woodruff-Long |
 |
| Watercolor Study no. 12 by Audrey Esarey of cottonandbourbon.com used hand dyed fabrics to create the transparency. |
 |
| Another by Audrey Esurary - Crescent Radial |
 |
Not What It Seams by Mariah Light. White fabrics on top of black batting. The seam allowances create the dimension.
|
 |
| Where We Connect by Cassandra Beaver |
 |
| Baltimore #2 by Bill Keller, a guild mate of mine, from a class with Nancy Crow. |
 |
Nest by Wendy Nutt, fascinating construction
|
 |
| Leaving a Light on For You by the KCMQG. Herringbone-like patterns fascinate me. |
 |
| Storm in the Mountains by Rob Lowe, a Santa Fe quilter whose studio I've been in. |
 |
| Leon, another by Rob Lowe, was inspired by a concert hall in Leon, Spain. |
But I received a text from my sister midway through the lecture that my brother was in the hospital. Cue: emotional hijacking. My one day at QuiltCon became three hours - Julie picked me up shortly thereafter. Despite my brother's hospitalization, both he and my sister insisted we continue our trip to Orlando. And we did. But we headed home one day early and did the drive in two days. My unease continued throughout the trip. We got home March 2, and the rest of this month has been a blur.
No comments:
Post a Comment