Wednesday, June 14, 2023

No Longer a Covid Virgin…


I can't believe it.  After being pretty careful for so long - including removing ourselves from  family Christmas 2020 and excluding two grandsons Christmas 2021 - I got Covid.  No, I don't know where or how.  And it wasn't horrible - really a bad cold sort of thing and maybe a bit low on energy.  But I did not feel like sewing at all.  So these six purses were really a push to get back into the swing of things.  And we just got back from Atlanta - we had to check our daughter Julie's new house.  We listened to a Karin Slaughter book on the way there and The Lincoln Highway on the way home.  So I'm still trying to reestablish a new normal.




My big news has nothing to do with sewing.  It really is about a family heirloom.  In the late 50's and early 60's my dad drove all over the area to tune pianos.  He was at the home of a church family in Beverly, and this family was getting ready to move to Oak Lawn.  This leader-glass shade was in their garbage pile.  Dad asked if he could have it, and the family said sure.  So he brought it home, and my mom had a couple of brass-polishing parties.  And then it was hung in the Western Springs dining room until they moved to LaGrange in the mid-70's.  Ad then it was in LaGrange.  At some point, perhaps after my folks moved back into the city, they offered it to Paula, who had the space and house in Freeport for it.  When Paula moved to St. Joe, of course the shade went with them.  When they moved from St. Joe to Benton Harbor, again the shade went along.  Paula is moving again and downsizing.  Meanwhile we have this fabulous dining room space.  Paula said she could part with the shade.  We met in LaPorte, IN and transferred the shade to my car.  Our electrician was here Monday.  And here it is...

If I saw this shade in a shop,  I would probably ask right by it.  But the family history - and my big dining room - makes me love it.  And it really does seem to finish off our dining room beautifully.

I must admit I do feel a bit sullied after Covid. Oh, well - I'll get over that feeling. Meanwhile Ive been thankful for my vaccinated and boosted status.



A little kiss block made by Eileen which sometimes holds my threaded needles. 


No comments: