Sunday, February 4, 2024

Jazz Cruise Quilt


I panicked as we were about to leave on the Jazz Cruise in late January.  Not only were we going to hot places (never my favorite), there would be over 100 jazz musicians on the ship.  To make myself happy, I grabbed the pile of hexies left over from the quilt I was working on when Doug was dying.  Despite the sadness of the hexie quilt, it would be the perfect thing for a week cruise.  There are no running straight lines, so hand piecing was really quite perfect.  Every night I would pull up the big venue on the ship and watch it on closed circuit tv as I pieced.  And every morning I would spread my progress  on the bed.   I used every hexie I packed and couldn’t wait to iron it once we got home..


Once we were home and the top was pressed, I needed to fill in the sides and top to square it off.  It measures 58” x 76. 



As you can see, it’s backed in a solid Art Gallery fabric.  And I have just started hand quilting this one.  I thought about trying to stitch a big trumpet and forever associate this quilt with jazz.  While I’m not ruling it out, I’m not sure that will happen.  

No comments: