Monday, January 26, 2026

Tuning Forks - a Repeat Project

My Chicago Modern Quilt Guild comes up with different ways for us to play.  In September I began a bee with 8 guild mates.  Each 6 weeks one of us would be the queen bee and tell the others what they want us to do.  I took the first reign and asked my mates for tuning forks, a nod to my father and brother who were piano tuners.  True confessions: I did this before and loved the results.  But Thomas Wolfe was right - you can’t go home again.  Although I asked for a neutral background and a darker fork of either 3”, 6” or 9” wide x any length. The variety of what I got was greater than anticipated.  I finally put all the forks  on the design wall - here it is.  Even John looked at this and suggested maybe it wasn’t worth finishing.  

Interesting observation.  But no!  I’ve been watching Project Runway,and I will make this work.  I started again. And this time I gave the forks some breathing space.  Ah, better.
And today I actually joined all the forks and am almost pleased with the results.  Like so many of my quilts, somebody’s gonna love this - it just won’t be me.   I am very excited by what my bee mates are doing.  We’ll have a great reveal in June! 

 

No comments: