Sunday, March 2, 2008

Hi Ho Hi Ho, It's...

off to Turkey we go! John and I have done some remarkable things in the past three years - our Central Europe trip, the cruise around the Horn of South America, the week in Beijing. Now we're flying to Istanbul and touring the western half of the country, including Ankara, Konya, Izmir, Ephesus, and Canakkale. I've already outlined the work to be done once I return home. The Hockey Jersey Quilt for Michelle's son and 2 memorial quilts for Corinne from some of her mom's shirts are at the top of the list. Niece Molly's quilt is also ready to start - I have all the fabrics but haven't decided upon a design. And today Bridgett Toma dropped off some shirts of her mother's - she wants a quilt for her aunt.

Bridgett and her sister Sheila were the first ones I ever did memorial quilts for. Pictured here is Sheila's quilt. Sheila is a teacher at Kennedy, and her mother who was younger than me died quite suddenly in the fall of 2004. Sheila gave me their mother's t-shirts and sweatshirts to be made into quilts. Along with all the shirts was a bag of flannel pj bottoms. At the time Bridgett was pregnant with her first child, so I made two baby quilts from the shirts and flannel bottoms.

Sheila had no idea the path her quilt request would lead me on. Since then I have done over a dozen "memorial" quilts . I think the deaths of my cousin Jim White, Joe Keeley, Fred Snively, my uncle Leonard White, Dodie Wallace. And I marvel at how therapeutic quilting has been for me.

So we're off to Turkey. Perhaps I'll find some inspiration for future projects! Be back March 20, just in time for the World Figure Skating telecasts! What a geek - quilting and skating...

No comments: