Longtime readers know that I’ve made quilted jackets only to later cut them up and make them into zippered pouches and totes. When will I learn my lesson? Apparently not anytime soon…
I made this tote years ago from a Jinny Beyer kit. But I made it before I learned about bag interfacings and underlayers. The bag is gorgeous but would just collapse on itself. For over 10 years I’ve had the fabrics and paper pattern (this is paper-pieced). So I decided to make a bag that would actually stand on its own. But as I made the new front and back for this new bag, I decided it was too pretty for another bag. Instead, I deconstructed the bag above and retrofitted it with Soft and Stable, thus creating the bag I wanted.
But now what do do with the bits I just created? 10 years later these Jinny Beyer fabrics are still among my favorites. I think there’s a depth of color in her RJR fabrics.
I ordered a jacket pattern - Tamarack Jacket by Grainline Studio - and a bolt of Thermore, a thin batting. And then I got busy.
It’s almost completed.
I lined it with one of my favorite Art Gallery fabrics, Hello Bear. And I’m still figuring out the closure. So far toggles seems to be the answer. To be determined…
I still have some leftover colored bits. And a lot of odds and ends of a plan white/cream. Thinking… but it’s what’s up next!







No comments:
Post a Comment